Skip to main content

How to Wield the Truth

clker.com
clker.com

How do you handle conflict when you know that you're right, and the other person is mistaken, or worse, lying about a situation? How do you respond when you're falsely accused?

There is definitely a sense of pride that wants to manifest when I've been challenged and I know that I'm right. That "I'll show you!" or "I told you so!" attitude rears its ugly head. And sometimes, even if I respond diplomatically by carefully choosing my words and my tone, I may just be masking my motive. But the truth may not be received, even if I'm sweet, and even if my motive for imparting it is pure, so I should temper my desire to speak truth by keeping this in mind: The one who is on the receiving end is now accountable to respond favorably.

Hebrews 4:12 says, "For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart" (ESV).

Let's face it. Most of us don't want to hear the truth. We don't want our motives to be exposed. We are likely either comfy in our delusion, or we are inclined to fiercely defend our deception. Yet, we who bear biblical truth bear a sword that will condemn those who reject it, and they will have to stand before God and give an account for their response to His word. How important it is, then, for us not to cast our pearls before swine (Mt. 7:6). This doesn't mean we shouldn't share the gospel, but if someone has already rejected the message, delivering it over and over again will likely only increase their resistance to it and bring them to a greater accountability. Better to humbly back off and leave room for the Holy Spirit to work. And it can be very difficult to take our hands off of someone in this way, especially if it's a loved one at whom we've been rapid-firing truth bombs "for their own good." Yet, when moved by God to impart His message, what joy there is when it is received! And greater still, the future reward for walking in the "good works, which God prepared beforehand" (Eph. 2:10) for us to accomplish.

Care to pray with me?

Lord, I thank you for imparting to me your word of truth, for equipping me with "the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God" (Eph. 6:17), not to wield against people, but against false ideas (2 Cor. 10:3-5). I ask that you would provide opportunities to impart your word to those who are equipped to receive it. Help me to be a faithful ambassador, remembering that it is not my message, but yours. Only you know whether or not the hearer will be saved. Help me to wield the truth with both skill and humble compassion, for your glory. In Jesus' name, amen!

Comments